29 Oct 2010

Sex attack victim says distracted by iPod

A sex attack victim in Australia said Thursday she might have been able to avoid the assault if she had not been distracted by her iPod.
The victim, named only as "Kate", urged other women to use MP3 players with caution after she was knocked down and sexually assaulted just 100 meters (yards) from her Melbourne home earlier this month.
"I was listening to my iPod and in my thoughts I was already at home so I didn't pay attention," she said.
It's a very bad idea, because you listen to the songs that you like, you're thinking about things and you don't pay attention to what's happening around you. It's a very bad thing.
A passing car disturbed the attacker, who then fled.
"When I am walking on the street now I always pay attention to what's happening around me," she said.
Australian campaigners have warned road users of "Death by iPod" after a pedestrian was knocked down and killed last month in Sydney, following the death of a Melbourne cyclist in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment